James F. Humphreys & Associates, L.C. represents people who have been injured through the negligence of others. We care about our clients and their families and want them to remain safe. To that end, parents with young children may want to consider the following information about playground safety.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), more than 200,000 children aged 14 or younger are treated every year in emergency departments for playground-related injuries. More than 20,000 of these visits are for a traumatic brain injury (TBI) such as concussion. Although head injuries may not be as obvious as a broken bone or a cut, head injuries can have very serious consequences for a child and his or her family.
Risk Factors for Playground Injuries
- Boys sustain playground related injuries more often than girls.
- Children aged 5 to 9 have higher rates of emergency department visits for playground injuries than any other age group.
- On public playgrounds, more injuries occur on monkey bars and climbing equipment than other equipment.
- Well maintained playgrounds have fewer risks to children such as rusty or broken equipment.
Keeping Kids Safe
The CDC suggests the following measures you can take to keep your children safe:
- Checking that playgrounds have soft material under them such as wood chips, sand, or mulch.
- Reading playground signs and using playground equipment that is right for your child’s age.
- Making sure that there are guardrails in good condition to help prevent falls.
- Looking out for things in the play area that can trip your child, like tree stumps or rocks.
How Can I Learn More?
The CDC website is an excellent place to find more information about playground safety. See CDC, “Playground Safety,” https://www.cdc.gov/safechild/playground/index.html.
If you or a loved one has been killed or injured through the negligence of someone else, please contact us at 304-881-0652 (local) or 877-341-2595 (toll free) for a free initial consultation. You may also contact us at our website, http://www.jfhumphreys.com.